CHAPTER IPREVIOUS DRAKES
The first DRAKE in the British service was the THOMAS DRAKE, of 200 tons and a crew of 80 men.
She was a merchant ship, and was the private property of Sir Francis Drake. Commanded by Henry Spindleow, with John Tranton as master, the DRAKE played an important part in the campaign of the Spanish Armada in 1588. She served to the westward under Sir Francis Drake, and took part in the battles off Plymouth, Portland and the Isle of Wight. When the Spaniards were anchored off Calais, she was sent in and burnt as a fireship. She created great consternation by coming into the Calais anchorage fully ablaze with all sails set, drifting slowly with the tide. Many Spaniards cut their cables and fled, and were subsequently defeated.
The second DRAKE was the ELIZABETH DRAKE of Lyme. She was of 60 tons, and had a crew of 30 men.
Under the command of Thomas Cely, with Thomas Clerke as master, the ELIZABETH DRAKE took part in the campaign of the Spanish Armada, and was one of the merchant ships appointed to serve to the westward under Sir Francis Drake.
The third DRAKE was added to the Navy during the Commonwealth. She was launched at Deptford in 1652, and was a 14-gun ship of 146 tons.
The fourth DRAKE was a 24-gun sloop of 253 tons launched at Rotherhithe in 1694.
The fifth DRAKE was a 2-gun, 68 ton yacht launched at Plymouth in 1705.
The sixth DRAKE was a 14-gun sloop launched at Woolwich in 1705.
The seventh DRAKE was a 14-gun sloop launched at Deptford in 1729. She was of 207 tons, with a crew of 90 men.
The eighth DRAKE was a 14-gun vessel built at Bombay in 1736. She was of 200 tons, carried a crew of 94 men, and was part of the Bombay Marine. In 1756, while fitted as a bomb vessel, she took part in the operations which resulted in the complete overthrow of the notorious pirate, Tulagee Angria.
The ninth DRAKE was a 14-gun sloop built at Wapping in 1740. She was of 206 tons with a crew of 80 men. In September 1742 she was wrecked and lost in Gibraltar Bay.
The tenth DRAKE was a 14-gun sloop launched at Deptford in 1743. She was of 240 tons, with a crew of 110 men.
The eleventh DRAKE was an armed storeship. In 1760 she was operating against the French in the East Indies, and assisted in the siege and blockade of Pondicherry. On 1 January 1761, a violent storm broke over the blockading squadron. Four ships were dismasted, and 3 were driven ashore and wrecked. The DRAKE and 2 other ships foundered with the loss of nearly all hands, 110 men being drowned.
The Twelth DRAKE was a 20-gun sloop of 275 tons, purchased in 1777.
On 24 April 1778, the DRAKE, commanded by Commander George Burdon, left Carrickfergus and attacked the American sloop-of-war RANGER, commanded by Captain Paul Jones USN. The RANGER had a crew of 135 men, and threw a broadside of 54 pounds. The DRAKE had a crew of 154 men, mostly volunteers or freshly pressed men, and threw a broadside of 40 pounds. The DRAKE had only 20 rounds ready, her scantlings were weak, and her battery was light and exposed. After an action lasting seventy minutes the DRAKE surrendered with a loss of 5 killed and 20 wounded. The RANGER had 2 killed and 6 wounded. The poor quality of the DRAKE’s crew is shown by the fact that 20 of them at once enlisted in the American service.
The thirteenth DRAKE was a 14-gun brig sloop launched at Dover in 1779. She was of 221 tons and carried a crew of 80 men. She saw much service in the Caribbean, including an attack on the French at Turk’s Island in the West Indies in March 1783, in company with the ALBERMARLE, commanded by Captain Horatio Nelson.
The fourteenth DRAKE was a 28-gun sloop, captured from the French in 1799. In the French service she had been called La TIGRE. She was of 212 tons and carried a crew of 86 men. She also saw much service against the French and the Dutch in the Caribbean. In September 1804 she was wrecked and lost on the island of Nevis.
The fifteenth DRAKE was an armed vessel of 130 tons with a crew of 43 men. She was hired for service in 1799.
The sixteenth DRAKE was a 14-gun ‘snow’ in the service of the Bombay Marine from about 1802.
The seventeenth DRAKE was a 16-gun sloop purchased into the Navy in 1804. She was of 253 tons and carried a crew of 75 men.
The eighteenth DRAKE was a 32-gun ship called the SIR FRANCIS DRAKE, purchased into the Navy from the East India Company in 1806. She was of 751 tons and carried a crew of 88 men.
On 27 November 1806, the SIR FRANCIS DRAKE arrived off Java as part of a squadron of 7 ships commanded by Rear-Admiral Sir Edward Pellew.
For the next 6 years she was engaged in many actions against the Dutch.
In 1811 Lord Cochrane, speaking from his place in the House of Commons, called public attention to the fact that the DRAKE had been 6 years on the station. The point of this statement will be understood when it is realised that the men were not paid until the end of the commission, so that all that time they had not received a farthing of pay.
After service as a storeship the SIR FRANCIS DRAKE was sold in 1825.
The nineteenth DRAKE was a 10-gan brig sloop launched at’ Ipswich in 1808. She was of 235 tons and carried a crew of 76 men.
In June 1822, when commanded by Commander Charles Adolphus Baker, she was wrecked off Newfoundland and lost with many lives. Commander Baker perished, but his efforts on behalf of his crew were such that the survivors petitioned the Admiralty for a lasting record, and a memorial was placed in the Dockyard Chapel, Portsmouth.
The twentieth DRAKE was a small sailing vessel launched at Portsmouth in 1834. She was of 109 tons and carried a crew of 6 men. Twenty years later she was fitted out as a steam mortar vessel for the Russian War and took part in the blockade of Sveaborg. Her name was changed to SHEPPY in July 1856, and she eventually became known as Pembroke Yard Craft No 1. Records of her were lost in 1867.
The twenty-first DRAKE was a 2-gun screw gunboat, launched at Pembroke in 1856. She was of 238 tons, 40 horse-power, and carried a crew of 36 men.
In December 1857 she took part in the bombardment and subsequent storming of Canton, and in August 1860 she was involved in the attack and capture of the Taku Forts. She was sold at Hong Kong in 1869 for £1156.
The twenty-second DRAKE received that name in November 1870. Originally known as the HART and then as Sheerness Yard Craft No 1, she held the name of DRAKE for only a few years and was broken up at Chatham in 1875.
The twenty-third DRAKE was an 18-gun twin screw cruiser launched at Pembroke in 1901. She was of 14,100 tons and capable of 24 knots speed.
On 27 February 1905, the DRAKE, while commanded by Captain Mark Kerr and flying the flag of Rear-Admiral HRH Prince Louis of Battenburg, was visited in Portsmouth Dockyard by His Majesty King Edward the Seventh, who spent the night on the ship.
Admiral Sir Francis Bridgeman was her first Captain in 1903 and he eventually became the First Sea Lord in the period immediately prior to the First World War. He was succeeded in Command by such well known officers as Earl Jellicoe and Sir Doveton Sturdee. The DRAKE was torpedoed off the North Coast of Ireland on 2 October 1917 by U79 but reached harbour before sinking in shallow water.
She was the last ship to be called DRAKE and the name was not used again until it was given to the Royal Naval Barracks Devonport in 1934. The 23 sea-going holders of the name between them earned the following Battle Honours:
Pei-Ho Forts 1859
Return to frontispiece